Vorshlag's First Test 'n' Tune "Post Mortem"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorshlag's First Test 'n' Tune "Post Mortem"

I agree the event was a big success!! Now let's discuss the good aspects that we want to maintain as well as the areas we think we can improve on....

Great stuff:
    - slalom, skidpad, "oval", and timed mini-course
    - timers
    - unlimited seat time
    - driving others' cars
    - getting feedback from others on my car
    - great food and hospitality at the Hanchey's house!

Things to improve on or add for next time:
    - Better weather: Okay, nothing we can do here, but I didn't get chance to do much tuning because by the end of the day after I'd baselines my dry times, I was whooped! I also would've liked some more time to do some skidpad tire temp testing.
    - More tweaking, less play for me: Don't get me wrong, I really liked driving everyone else's cars, but next time I don't plan on doing so much of that unless the car is somehow comparable to mine. It was a lot of fun, but next time I need to focus more on making changes to the car and then testing them against the clock.
    - RSVP's with a Consequence: Simply put, Brian and Terry shouldn't have to nut up the bill because a bunch of flakes backed out at the last minute without paying. That's not cool at all. I offered to pay extra so they wouldn't have to, but was turned down. I hope we had enough! Nonetheless, next time, payment should be received one week ahead of time to be registered and refunds for cancellations are only given up to one week in advance, period. That's my suggestion anyway....
    - Food: While the BBQ was great, I'd suggest next time we just order pizza. Why? To save money given the possibility of some no-shows.
    - Drinks: Again, the drinks are MUCH appreciated at the event, but let's just save the money and have everyone bring their own. Should save a few bucks and some hassle on behalf of the organizers.
    - Entries: Anyone who bailed last time at the last minute should be given less preferential treatment for attending the next test 'n' tune, IMO. I realize stuff comes up, but there were too many people bailing and B & T were stuck with the tab. So if a limit is placed on how many people are allowed in next time, start with those who committed and showed.

That's all I can think of now other than to ask the inevitable question: When't the next one??

Thanks for doing this, guys, and thanks to the Hanchey family for hosting the dinner!

Tommy
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Re: Vorshlag's First Test 'n' Tune "Post Mortem"

www.vorshlag.com/tamscc/PracticeResults/JanuaryPractice.pdf

I agree with everything you've said Tommy. I wanted to do the dinner just because. No one saw the cake, but it said "Good luck in 2006". It was more of a kickoff thing than something we'd do every time. Maybe just every January. Next year at the Fairs!!

Giant mammoth cooler is great and I like have drinks there. It is a little hassle, but we could put a tip jar there or maybe even find a sponsor. BMW of Dallas donates the water for BMW events. Might just depend on if we have a vehicle to carry it.

Rails for scales! I think we all got wrapped up in the play with each other's cars thing. I loved it, but I won't do it again, time to get down to business!! The rain and all got us distracted. Hopefully for the next event we'll have the scales setup and easier to use where Terry and I don't have to supervise. We can train a couple of people and take turns. I'm truly sorry we didn't set them up. Besides the DL-1, I think corner weighting is right up there on easy tuning musts! DL-1 probably should have a sign up sheet and a time limit and a check off list (Does your cig lighter work? is your roof aluminum? ) As I'm learning this data is already paying HUGE dividends. I pushed out on the U turn and it cost me .1s. How else would you know that without setting up timers in each sector? Great data.

Also, we'll set up the elements earlier, tech cars, have a driver's meeting, then release everyone to play while setting up the practice course. Lessons learned.

Thanks again for everyone coming. I know I had a great time. Don't worry about the breakeven stuff. We came out almost even, but we'll definitely make some changes on registration and penalties.
    Last edited by hancheyb; 01-30-2006, 09:56 AM.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Here's the pertinent data on my car. Would everyone else mind providing the same data for their car?

Front
      Specs: -3.8 camber, 1/8" toe out, 35 psi
      Tires: 225/45-17 Falken 215's (well used)
      Components: 600# springs, Koni singles (full stiff), UUC Swaybarbarian (middle setting), MF c/c plates.

Rear
      Specs: -2.5 camber, 1/16" toe in, 35 psi
      Tires: 225/45-17 Falken 215's (well used)
      Components: 700# springs, Koni singles (full stiff), UUC Swaybarbarians (full stiff).

Tommy
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      Diff Swap

Comment

Initial setup:
        Front
        Specs: -4.0 camber, .95degree toe out, 46 psi
        Tires: 245/45-17 Falken 615's (less than half tread and dead)
        Components: 450# springs, KW doubles (almost full stiff), Whiteline 27mm sway bar (full stiff)

Rear
        Specs: 0 camber, 0 toe in, 36 psi
        Components: 330ish# springs (progressive), KW doubles (almost full stiff), Whiteline 26mm sway bar (full soft)

Final setup:
        Front
        Specs: -3.5 camber, .40degree toe out (guessing), 46 psi
        Components: 450# springs, KW doubles (almost full stiff), Whiteline 27mm sway bar (full stiff)

Rear
        Specs: 0 camber, 0 toe in, 36 psi
        Components: 330ish# springs (progressive), KW doubles (full soft), Whiteline 26mm sway bar (full soft)
        '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
        - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

OK guys, check this stuff out. Really interesting. This is longitudinal acceleration comparisons:

Andy: black
          Brian: red
          Paul: black
          Tommy: green
          Fair: green

I haven't figured out how to do a Legend, so look at the page of the file then associate these colors to them. The x axis is distance, the circles on the graph are the sectors. Notice how smooth Andy is and how in the TerryvsBrian chart Terry is braking hard in the uphill section. Tommy's run looks more like Andy's. I want to tell myself that they are smooth b/c they have no power, but I know better!

Page 1 is track map
          Page 2 is sector times (print out SUCKS. So tiny and I can't change it (I think))
          Page 3 is Paul vs. Brian vs. Tommy
          Page 4 is Andy vs. Brian
          Page 5 is Brian vs. Terry
          Attached Files
          Last edited by hancheyb; 01-30-2006, 11:56 AM.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Front
            Specs: -1.7 camber, 0.08 degree toe out, 42 psi
            Tires: 225/40-18 Hankook Ventus Sport K104 280 treadwear (brand new)
            Components: H&R Sport 25% stiffer than OE sport (haven't found what stock is rated at), Koni singles (full stiff), UUC Swaybarbarian (soft setting)

Rear
            Specs: -1.7 camber, 0.2 degree toe out, 36.5 psi
            Tires: 255/35-18 Hankook Ventus Sport K104 280 treadwear (5 months old) Components: H&R Sport adjustable springs, Koni singles (1/2 turn), UUC Swaybarbarians (full stiff).
            -Sean Martin
            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I actually wish I'd driven MORE cars than I did, but it was fun driving Tommy's and Cody's cars. I'm glad Cody and Tommy "The Ringer" Regan drove my car. Now I know how much I have to catch up in driving skill. Hopefully the Evo school this weekend will help. I believe Tommy ran a 25.2, Cody a 25.4, and me a 26.8. It would have been nice to weigh my car and use the DL-1 to see how far off my driving line was from the "pros".

Comments:
              -Tommy's car drives flat, yo. Clutch stop was cool. I really don't fit well in an E36 with a helmet on.
              -Cody's car had nice power (to this 328 owner), though I missed my and Tommy's short shifter. I wish I'd put one in my old M3.
              -Riding with Fair in the wet is entertaining (and makes you understand why a helmet is useful).
              -I loved having the skidpad, slalom, and increasing/decreasing radius course.
              -I would have liked to have a bigger autocross course in the afternoon and/or go a different direction on the same course. I realize not getting to have full dry runs in the morning probably killed this idea.
              -Supplied drinks is cool with me, though it should be included in the price charged to participants in the future.
              -Pizza would be fine with me next time.
              -Having the timers for the autocross was nice. It would have been dull without that.
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Here are pictures Deena and I took with her little Canon SD-450.

http://redwood.smugmug.com/gallery/1166813
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                  Thanks again for everyone coming. I know I had a great time. Don't worry about the breakeven stuff. We came out almost even, but we'll definitely make some changes on registration and penalties.
                  Sounds like it was pretty good. I wish the weather had worked out better because I was not going to go in the rain. BTW I did pay my fee even though I wasn't there.

Comment

Next time that Justin doesn't show, his consequence will be that I get to take his car out there on his behalf
                    Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Agreed about the weather, and for the record, Nick and I paid.

How much is it to rent MW?

Costas

Comment

I hope I didn't sound like this and I wasn't referring to any of our friends when we talk about "no shows". Terry and I will be fine, no one needs to worry about who paid what, we're good there and I appreciate everyone paying that couldn't make it. I think the comments are just for the future when we open it up to more people, no one wants to be holding the bag. We did allow some new (to us) people into this event and they all didn't show aside from Todd Milstead. No biggie guys, really.

For instance, Steve Gibson was "dying" to come to this practice, where was he? Dean's coworker, sick at the last minute, and so on. Granted the guy was sick I realize that. I would have invited more people had I known we'd go from 23 people to 14 on the last day. Lessons learned!
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Yeah, what Brian said. I know our "core group" here are all good people. I was really referring to the unknowns...

T
                          2001 Jeep Wrangler
                          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                          Front LCA Bushing Swap
                          E36 Custom Cat Back
                          Diff Swap

Comment

Yea, the coworker just started out as a "can he tag along" kinda thing, but this row of cubicles has had something fierce in the way of flu and viruses... 3 coworkers were out....

Jeremy and I specifically did not sign up for dinner, because we knew we had the Amber b-day stuff, so hopefully that helped with the dinner proportions, etc. Turns out we had about 30 minutes of free time, but we still didn't eat.

Thanks again for putting this event on, it made for a wonderful weekend.
                            Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                            Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                              For instance, Steve Gibson was "dying" to come to this practice, where was he?
                              Some family thing he could not get out of.
                              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                              X