Projections for STU 2006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projections for STU 2006

I just wanted to start a new thread specific to how we think STU is going to go this year. I posted this buried in a RX8 discussion and thought it warranted it's own thread

Here's how I see STU lining up for this next autox year here in the Texas region:

RX8 - lightest of all; should be quickest through the corners; lastest braking; has the widest tires all of; weaknut motor and down on power to the rest

M3 - right in the middle as far as weight; could be just as fast through transitions as the RX8; good braking; a bit wider tires than the STi; has more HP/TQ than the RX8 but lacking a bit from the STi

STi - Heaviest of all the cars; likes to push at the limit and does not transition as well; AWD helps pull it out of turns as well as lanching; brakes really good; smallest tires; but fastest by far all three cars.

In looking and comparing all three, I think it will really come down to course design and drivers. Any given weekend, any of the three cars has a chance to win. Should make for a great season!

Hopefully Vorshlag will take the top spots in STU for the region and all trophy at Nationals. Now, who will be on top is yet to be determined. Hopefully my new 8 will prove to be a contender!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    McCall

Re: Projections for STU 2006

Add to the M3 "most developed". That gap will close by the end of the year I think. I think the M3 is only a contender if you get it down to its minimum weight. I'm hoping by the end of the year I won't be daily driving it. Must do's to make a M3 perform.

-lightest seats possible, the ones we had from Jason were 20+ pounds. It really needs 15 pound seats.
    -single exhaust, my exhaust has two cats still and TWO mufflers.
    -no a/c

My car weighed 2997 with 5/8 of a tank and one race seat. Here's what I've come up with:

-Another seat ~40 pounds of savings
    -redo the exhaust ~20 pounds of savings, totally unstreetable at that point.
    -no a/c, I'm never doing this ~40 pounds
    -remove the hitch for big events ~30 pounds
    -run with less gas ~20 pounds

Don't know what else to do? That could make the car 2850. I don't see getting it lighter than a stock RX-8. Oh wait, the driver needs to drop 20. haha
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Why couldn't you add in a resonator and a straight pipe that were interchangable? That way you could remove the resonator for big events but use it for daily driving. Would just be a little more fab work when you get the exhaust re-done.
      Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

I say joo will all get pwned by a lowly 325!!! MUAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

T
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
        Diff Swap

Comment

True and I might do that. Right now I ran two cats. I really need one, but I have a 3 bolt flange that could run a straight pipe off the cat if I wanted. Maybe that's an interum compromise until I can redo it from the header.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I am leaning towards the M3 at this time too. I still don't think there is a full prepped one out there yet. Although, with some development I think the RX-8 is eventually going to be the car to beat. If STS is faster than us in cr4ppy honda's, imagine what an RX-8 could do.
            '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
            - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
              If STS is faster than us in cr4ppy honda's, imagine what an RX-8 could do.
              OK, I hate it when people do this, but I'll do it. The divisional at MW, I was beating Andy by 1 second the first day and 1.5 seconds the second day. My car has never handled that well since, but I think that is what it is going to take (+more as everyone tunes) to compete in STU. And assuming Andy wasn't having a bad day, I think you can look at those times and say that that is the spread we should have on STS. I know I'm a broken record and haven't backed up that time since, but we will! As a baseline, the 1st day at Nationals, the car wasn't handling that well and it was TT for the class. 2nd day, well that was the opposite of the day at MW, the worst it has ever handled.

I'm anxious to try our shaved Falkens at the practice. See how quickly Fair can overheat those.
              Brian Hanchey
              AST Suspension - USA

Comment

From this past weekend:

33/STS ANDY HOLLIS
                (0.797) 89 CIVIC SI HONDA
                TIMES: 1) 65.905 2) 64.370 3) 65.027 4) 64.346

86/STU JOHN SCHEIER
                (0.820) 98 M3 BMW
                TIMES: 1) 64.156 2) 66.573( 2) 3) 62.761 4) 63.169

I pooched the same corner all 4 runs and my falkens are 'tired' after 2 days at MSR + the other auto-x's.

Comment

Nice driving John.

Brian, as for that event in MW. You were on crack that day. It was obscene how much faster you were than everyone else. So that tells you that you have the skill to do it if you get the car setup back to right again.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                  - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by John in Houston
                    From this past weekend:

33/STS ANDY HOLLIS
                    (0.797) 89 CIVIC SI HONDA
                    TIMES: 1) 65.905 2) 64.370 3) 65.027 4) 64.346

86/STU JOHN SCHEIER
                    (0.820) 98 M3 BMW
                    TIMES: 1) 64.156 2) 66.573( 2) 3) 62.761 4) 63.169

I pooched the same corner all 4 runs and my falkens are 'tired' after 2 days at MSR + the other auto-x's.
                    Proof the M3 can be fast. I read today that Andy was making a STS2 Miata. That would be nice to see him supporting the new ST classes!

Paul, maybe I was a little faster than normal, but Terry was .5s off of me. Usually we're .2s on either side of each other so it wasn't really me. The car was awesome. And if someone shows up in a 2850 pound M3 that is setup well, it should be competitive IMO.
                    Last edited by hancheyb; 01-09-2006, 09:31 PM.
                    Brian Hanchey
                    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

The only suggestion I can offer is to keep better setups and record weather and surface type so you can tweak based on variables. For example, your car at MW was awesome but at Natls it pushed. Apparently the added grip caused the car to respond in a tighter manner. First step is too realize it is happening and then what adjustment can/do you make to correct it. As well, keep good records early this season as Natls has moved back deeper into Sept and will be cooler this year.

my .01 as I need the other for tires

turbotoddie

Comment

Originally posted by turbotoddie
                        The only suggestion I can offer is to keep better setups and record weather and surface type so you can tweak based on variables. For example, your car at MW was awesome but at Natls it pushed. Apparently the added grip caused the car to respond in a tighter manner. First step is too realize it is happening and then what adjustment can/do you make to correct it. As well, keep good records early this season as Natls has moved back deeper into Sept and will be cooler this year.

my .01 as I need the other for tires

turbotoddie
                        Oh, you should see the database I built! It is a little on the anal side, but it does what you suggested. At least I'm not making the same mistakes, just new ones.
                        Brian Hanchey
                        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I guess we need to figure out why we were so fast at TMS too. And it was not a fluke, it was two weekends in a row we paxed top 4. I personally think it was the tires on that surface. They just liked it.

- Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                            I guess we need to figure out why we were so fast at TMS too.
                            FWIW, pax is going to bias towards the slower cars on a limited traction surface. The higher powered(supposed to be faster)cars cannot use 500hp on a surface that will only hook up 200hp.

turbo
                            Last edited by Fair!; 01-11-2006, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X