Helmet & Numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet & Numbers

Okay, I need to be proactive and order autocross numbers and a helmet before the season starts. I am guessing I should buy a helmet locally, but where? How much should I expect to spend? Is there an online site I can just order magnetic numbers from? If so, please provide the link. Thanks in advance.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Re: Helmet & Numbers

Magnetics:

Look in the back of GrassRoots Motorsports there are several options. Don't mess with local sign shops - too much hassle, lots of running around, almost never look professional, and costs are wildly out of line with online places that do magnetic numbers for racers.

Hemlet:

McCall just ordered an SA2005 Pyrotech or some other notable brand open faced helmet online. Saw an ad in GRM I think?

Basically - go buy a GRM and look in the classifieds...

Snell Ratings:

SA2005 is the newest "auto" Snell spec helmet. M2005 is "motorcycle" rating - good enough for autocrossing but some lapping session groups frown on these. Diff is SA is for multiple impacts (think: roll cage) and M is for added scratch resistance (think: road rash). I usually cheese out and get cheap M rated open face units, or pawn shop M rated used crap. Good full face SA rated name brand helmets can get EXPENSIVE. Bell is very well known, as is Simpson.

Whatever you do, try on a few - they are sized like hats. Measure your noggin before you order. Open faced is easier to size.
    Last edited by Fair!; 01-08-2006, 08:02 PM.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
      Hemlet:

McCall just ordered an SA2005 Pyrotech or some other notable brand open faced helmet online. Saw an ad in GRM I think?

Basically - go buy a GRM and look in the classifieds...

Snell Ratings:

SA2005 is the newest "auto" Snell spec helmet. M2005 is "motorcycle" rating - good enough for autocrossing but some lapping session groups frown on these. Diff is SA is for multiple impacts (think: roll cage) and M is for added scratch resistance (think: road rash). I usually cheese out and get cheap M rated open face units, or pawn shop M rated used crap. Good full face SA rated name brand helmets can get EXPENSIVE. Bell is very well known, as is Simpson.

Whatever you do, try on a few - they are sized like hats. Measure your noggin before you order. Open faced is easier to size.
      Fortunately I got a complimentary GRM in the mail recently due to my new SCCA membership. I've always used XL loaners at events and those fit fine.
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

I got my numbers from http://www.protapesigns.com/ in Carrollton. Pricey but they look good and I guess I was supporting the local 'scene' Got my helmet from http://www.ogracing.com and they were good to deal with too.
        Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by C3
          I got my numbers from http://www.protapesigns.com/ in Carrollton. Pricey but they look good and I guess I was supporting the local 'scene' Got my helmet from http://www.ogracing.com and they were good to deal with too.
          I recommend both of those places.
          McCall

Comment

I've always bought my helmets online, some great deals.

You don't need SA unless you plan to do wheel to wheel road racing, and I doubt you will. Snell M2000 would be fine for all clubs that autocross... (P.S. Even if you wanted to go to Motorsports Ranch for time trial road racing, you can still use your Snell helmet, SA exponentially raises the price)

The tough part is the fitment, you want it pretty exact (quickly moving your head up and down, left and right, so it doesn't move at all, but doesn't cut circulation in your ears ) and what I originally did is I went to a Mustang "Performance" Shop and tried on the various manufacturers and looked at the sizes, then I ordered online.

Bell sells their helmets based on hat size, so that's a start. HJC (dirt cheap, but it carries the SN M2000 rating) is good for all the autocrossing you'll do. You may want to stick with the open face type since supposedly the full face ones aren't great with air bag deployments and neck injury - not that you'll experience that at an autocross, but just to let you know. I think the SCCA made a "recommendation" for open face helmets, though it is not mandatory. I've had an airbag deployment with my full face helmet on, but I also had a 5 point harness that kept me pinned to my seat, my only injuries were burn marks on the inside of my arms from the friction of the airbag.

I've purchased a couple of helmets from helmetcity.com and I've purchased this exact model twice:
            (Cary has one, and the other I purchased for any coeds I may bring to an event ) At $62 and FREE SHIPPING, HARD TO BEAT!! Buy one for Deena, too!

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/cs5/cs5flatblack (There's a link to a sizing chart here, and I used it to purchase my nicer full face Bell helmet that fits perfectly)

The Snell M2000 should last you until 2015 before it expires!

Here's a post from Doug Gill, the SCCA Technical Steward Person:
            A vehicle in good mechanical condition and a Snell or SFI helmet. Cars are required to pass a tech (safety) inspection. These helmets are currently allowed in Solo2:

Snell SA90, M90, SA95, M95, K98, SA2000, M2000

SFI 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A
            Last edited by Dean!; 01-08-2006, 10:17 PM.
            Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
            Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
              You may want to stick with the open face type since supposedly the full face ones aren't great with air bag deployments and neck injury - not that you'll experience that at an autocross, but just to let you know. I think the SCCA made a "recommendation" for open face helmets, though it is not mandatory. I've had an airbag deployment with my full face helmet on, but I also had a 5 point harness that kept me pinned to my seat, my only injuries were burn marks on the inside of my arms from the friction of the airbag.
              OK, what's the story here??? Did you crash during an autocross (seen it happen 2x), or was it something in a little less controlled environment??
              Chris

Comment

I thought I remembered something about a deer getting onto the track at TWS??
                Teucci has a good point about trannies - Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by beavis
                  OK, what's the story here??? Did you crash during an autocross (seen it happen 2x), or was it something in a little less controlled environment??
                  No, I was just referring to airbag deployments while wearing full face helmets in general - I didn't mean to make it sound like an autocross.

This particular incident was when my vehicle went offroad at the location of where TWS in College Station is. That's what the report says and I'm sticking to it. :O
                  Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."

Comment

Kami and I just got G-Force SA2005 open face helmets for $150 a piece. If you don't need to impress anyone it's a good buy (or take off the G-Force sticker and it looks just like a Bell). Oh, they run big, I have a 7 3/8 Simpson and the G-Force Large was too big but the medium is good
                    Adam
                    It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity

Comment

WHOOP! I finally ordered my numbers from SoloTime on Thursday afternoon. They showed up today. I got black, 8", block numbers (full set X 2) and it was $89 including tax and shipping. They fit perfectly on the E46. Something I just thought of is letters, though. Do SCCA events require class letters too? The BMW events don't.
                      -Sean Martin
                      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                        WHOOP! I finally ordered my numbers from SoloTime on Thursday afternoon. They showed up today. I got black, 8", block numbers (full set X 2) and it was $89 including tax and shipping. They fit perfectly on the E46. Something I just thought of is letters, though. Do SCCA events require class letters too? The BMW events don't.
                        You'll pay $89 for vinyl stickers stuck on magnetic sheeting that you can buy a roll of from Hobby Lobby for $11 to make a thousand numbers, but you won't buy my aluminum air tank for $89?

You paid $89 for the two numbers you actually need and it doesn't include LETTERS ??

Just joshing you....

- Dean! from brokejack mountain
                        I got a dozen numbers from www.karkare.com for $3.25 !!!

$11 for thick magnetic sheeting for a ton of numbers
                        $3.25 for a dozen of 6's and 9's
                        =
                        Sell to Newbies at events for $2 a number

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                          Do SCCA events require class letters too?
                          Yes. There's a rule on how tall the letters have to be in the rulebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                            Yes. There's a rule on how tall the letters have to be in the rulebook.
                            And yes, SCCA requires class letters. You need to pick up STX letters which are a minimum of 4" tall.
                            McCall

Comment

Originally posted by McCall
                              And yes, SCCA requires class letters. You need to pick up STX letters which are a minimum of 4" tall.
                              Thanks, I'll order those tomorrow.
                              -Sean Martin
                              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X