Dyno Day for BHoT peeps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno Day for BHoT peeps

I was thinking early next year it would be cool if we all had our own dyno day. Then I remembered we have 4x4 and 4x2 cars... then I remembered there aren't any 4x4 dynos in Dallas at present. Oh well. =/
    '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Dr. Clarkson

Re: Dyno Day for BHoT peeps

I thought you said there were two AWD dynos?

BTW, we could have a pseudo dyno day. The DL1 will calculate hp if you give it weight, etc.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I would definitely be interested in dynoing my weaknut car, especially since I plan on a couple minor mods thanks to some generous birthday gifts.
      -Sean Martin
      2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Well, there were two AWD dynos in the DFW area but I've heard that Dean's/Jeremy's buddy's one in Mckinney may be bye bye. The other is at Alamo Autosports in Arlington http://www.alamoautosports.com/

The shop is a bit dirty and way ricer but they do have the awd dyno...
        McCall

Comment

Is his dyno for sale? I'd imagine McKinney is just too far.

That's such a shame. I don't know enough about this business I guess. It would seem like there is a way to make money at it. Hell, at SEMA I got a floppy disk from DynoPack that has a business case outline. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but they obviously found a way to at least trick people into buying $100k dynos.

Positives I see about dynos:

-not marque specific means you aren't reliant on the current "hot" car
          -high barrier to entry means you don't have a lot of competition
          -dyno day popularity and current car craze means you can reach a large variety of audiences from drag cars, ricers, autocrossers, road racers, car club goobers too, even the FX club

Negatives:

-high barrier to entry means you have to have that dyno running constantly to pay for itself
          -i have no idea how realiable a dyno is, maybe maintenance is high
          -how long before people figure out that a dyno run doesn't tell them everything?
          -strap down time wastes your pull time, high labor costs

What if you had a small fleet of beaters. Someone drops their car off, drives off in your rental beater, car is ready when they get back. Gives you a chance to look the car over for "upsell" opportunities.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

buying dynos is rarely about paying for the dyno with dyno pulls... its a poor business proposition.

It's mostly about giving your bolt-on/tune rautomotive business legitimacy ("what? they dont even HAVE A DYNO?!") and to a small degree about justifying the work you have done/sold to customers ("look at the 3.2 horsepower you gained with that $432 cold air kit!").

not much maintenance. rental fleet? uhhh... no.
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
            X