SEMA anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEMA anyone?

So I got Bob to get my dad and I into SEMA. I know that Teucci and others can get people in. Anyone want to go? Nov. 1-4 I think. I probably won't be there the whole time. I just want to spend a day or two.

Deadline is Oct. 1st if you want to stand in the 10 minute badge line vs. the 3 HOUR registration line.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

I think Matteucci said he could get passes. You seriously going?

PM me. I just checked prices to Vegas (today at work; Vegas is one of our customers) for late October for Amy and a co-worker and it's higher than normal. Something big must be going on in October.

I'll re-check that Nov. week. You can usually get week long, package flight+hotel deals for $400-500.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Oh snap... I wanna go.

Let me talk to Teucci and see what we can get.

Comment

The show opens on Tuesday, but you can save a lot of time if you can get there on Monday to register... even if it's Monday afternoon you can save a lot of hassle by getting it out of the way. If you wear track shoes you can hit the highlights of the SEMA Show in one day, but it's rough. Then there's the AAPEX Show at the Sands Expo Center which is the same size as SEMA.... that's another day. If you're selective about what booths you want to see and you discipline yourself to skip most everything else, you can cover a lot of ground.
        It is huuuuuuuuuuge.

The shows open on Tuesday and stay open till the end of the day Friday. Like any big trade show the exhibitors get tired as the week grinds on, so early in the week is better. They're not allowed to start packing up their exhibits till the show closes Friday night, but by mid-day Friday they're emotionally done. I'd definitely go on Tuesday and Wednesday if possible.

When I get a little more time I'll try to jot down a few more thoughts about "How to do your first SEMA Show."

But at least you're all signed up. (You owe me $30. <g>)

--BT

I'm checking today on flights/dates. I think my dad might not be able to make it Monday. I think I'd like to get there Monday, tour the show Tuesday, and leave Wednesday afternoon.
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

America West and AA have $208 tickets flying out Monday, Oct 31st and returning Nov. 2nd.
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

OMG!!!! I SO can't wait!

I jotted down a few thoughts last night about what I'd like to know if I were visiting my first SEMA Show. I'm sure there's more you'll wish you'd known, but it's a start. Of course feel free to ask anything! (I've gone every year since 1980.)

--BT

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT DOING YOUR FIRST SEMA SHOW

What you are going to Vegas for is the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Week
            (AAIW) which is made up of two separate but related trade shows going on at the same time... Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) at the Hilton Convention Center and Automotive Aftermarket Product Expo (AAPEX) at the Sands Convention Center. But everyone in Vegas knows the whole shebang by "SEMA."

I'd be hard pressed to make a clear differentiation between the two shows, but SEMA seems to be more oriented toward American cars and aftermarket hard parts while the AAPEX seems to be more oriented toward imported parts and service equipment and supplies. If I had to chose to do only one, I'd do SEMA.

Check out the www.AAIWSHOW.com website and familiarize yourself with what's in store.

Before travelling to Vegas rest up and prepare yourself emotionally and physically for crowds... the two shows comprise the largest trade show in Vegas (bigger than Comdex and NAB) and the 3rd largest automotive trade show in the world. SEMA had 120,000 visitors last year and AAPEX had 117,000... that's more than 1/4 million people all trying to see the same stuff you're trying to see.

If at all possible plan to arrive and register on Monday (open till 5:00) when the lines for Registration are *much* shorter. Plus you can plan your route of the companies you really want to see Monday night. Trust me... this is important if there are specific vendors you want to see. If you just take it as it comes and wander in you'll end up seeing a fraction of what's there.

The "weather" inside the convention halls is a constant 72 degrees. If the outdoor weather is cold I personally think it's better to tough out the run from the car to the exhibit hall than have to carry around a jacket all day. I
            *think* there are lockers in the exhibit halls, but don't honestly remember.

I can't stand busses and I hate waiting in line for taxis, so I always rent a car when I'm in Vegas. If you drive or rent a car plan to arrive EARLY on Tuesday and pay the exhorbitant fee to park in the main parking lot across from the Expo center (NW corner of Convention Center Drive and Paradise Road). If you get there after the lot is full park in the first private lot you see.
            Forget the price... it won't matter later.

If you don't have a car most big hotels have busses that go to/from the Expo Center. I've never taken them, but they appear to be pretty efficient.
            Taking a taxi TO the Expo Center appears to be expedient, but trying to take one BACK to you hotel looks painful... loooooooong lines at the end of the day. The busses that shuttle between the SEMA Show (Hilton) and AAPEX Show (Sands) don't look much better.

Lunch is difficult... grab a snack when you can... there are snack bars (hot dogs, sandwiches, water, pop) throughout the exhibit halls, but finding room to actually sit down for nice "lunch break" can be difficult.

Wear your most comfortable shoes... you're going to walk 5-10 miles each day.

Dress comfortably... did I mention you're going to walk 5-10 miles each day?

Take a little time to explore the "fringes" of the shows. For example, the NHRA will have a "museum" of sorts set up of some historic race cars somewhere at the SEMA Show, but not on the main exhibit floors. Also as you enter you'll see rows and rows of publications... take a few minutes to at least look at them.. you might find something of interest you never even knew existed.
            They're all free at the show.

Cell phone reception in the exhibit halls is bad. Don't bet your life on being able to receive calls.

There are business centers in both convention halls where you can send/receive email and FedEx packages.

Many vendors will try to hand you "stuff" to take home with you. A few of the more thoughtful ones will also give you a bag to carry it all in. One idea is to gather all the promotional stuf on one day, then politely decline on the other days. I personally hate to carry anything with me because even a few brochures can feel like 20 pounds by the end of the day. And they usually end up getting so wrinkeled that I throw them away at the hotel anyway. I do remember seeing people carrying briefcases and satchels, but I don't remember seeing anyone with a napsack or backpack... they may be prohibited.

Cameras are not allowed unless you get a permit from the show office. (I think they're only given to the media.)

And most importantly... what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. <g>
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Sean, how do these shows compare to E3 in size?

Take a small backpack to carry water and swag.
              Last edited by Paul; 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM.
              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

I have never been to SEMA, but it's slightly bigger than E3 in # of attendees.
                -Sean Martin
                2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

And going by my experiences at E3, tennis shoes, resist brochures unless extremely interested in the product (most of mine never get looked at later), pick up as much of that stuff on the first day, then the 2nd day go to areas you missed and avoid picking up freebies.
                  -Sean Martin
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Sitting in the Vegas airport right now! Me wanty to come back! I LOVE this town. I even made money at the c r a p s table!!

I'm leaving from spending three days at the Las Vegas Convention Center (it's not named the Hilton one anymore but it's the same one right next door to the Hilton) and traveling around the s t r i p so I am fresh on all the shows/things to see. Also, they have the new Monorail up and running and it makes it much easier to get up and down the s t r i p. It beats the cabs/walking.

I'm soooooo tempted to go. Put me down as a maybe. If I land this big sale in the next week or two I think I will join you guys. Who wants to bunk up? MGM Grand (starring right at it right now)? Ballys? Treasure Island?

Also, DON'T stay at the Hilton as it is under construction right now and it sucks (been there the last 5 days)

EDIT - "Cell phone reception in the exhibit halls is bad. Don't bet your life on being able to receive calls." - This is wrong. My cell phone worked great all week inside the hall.
                    Last edited by McCall; 09-28-2005, 05:13 PM.
                    McCall

Comment

The tram/skyrail/monorail is up and running. You can stay on the strip and catch the tram right to the show. Awesome.

Cell phone reception is indeed spotty. Some work perfect. Others don't work.

11 miles of aisles.

Costas
                      SEMA many times...and more to come

Comment

Re: SEMA anyone?

It might be counter to the crowd's baser desires, but the annual SEMA show taking place next week will be a tamer place, thanks to new guidelines distributed to companies hawking their wares at the annual aftermarket extravaganza, hosted at the Las Vegas Convention Center from Nov. 1-4. A swift PR type alerted us to the registration portion of the Web site for vendors, which stipulates the thongless, bikini-less attire demanded by organizers for the 2005 event:

In the interest of maintaining a professional atmosphere, attendees must wear appropriate apparel at all times. Business or semi-business attire is suggested. Items such as flip-flops, tank tops, cut-offs, bathing suits, thongs, lingerie, excessively short skirts, transparent apparel or workout clothing, are prohibited. Logos and sayings on apparel must be in good taste. Show management reserves the right to make determinations on appropriate apparel.

As our source sagely observed, "I don't know what the tire and wheel manufacturers are going to do to draw folks into their booths."
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Hey kids!!

SEMA is awesome. Got here at 3AM Dallas time, in bed by 4AM, up 4 hours later. Avoided the line at registration. Don't worry, the dress code rules are not affecting the uh dresses. We just went through the wheel and tire section in 1.5 hours. Not much to see, all bling wheels. The 1M dollar set of diamond encrusted Dubs was nice. The 30's on the Hummer too. Cameras ARE allowed, so I'll come back through and take some pics...
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                            Hey kids!!

SEMA is awesome. Got here at 3AM Dallas time, in bed by 4AM, up 4 hours later. Avoided the line at registration. Don't worry, the dress code rules are not affecting the uh dresses. We just went through the wheel and tire section in 1.5 hours. Not much to see, all bling wheels. The 1M dollar set of diamond encrusted Dubs was nice. The 30's on the Hummer too. Cameras ARE allowed, so I'll come back through and take some pics...
                            Go Hanchey Go!! Give us some of that SLR lovin
                            -Sean Martin
                            2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by hancheyb
                              Cameras ARE allowed, so I'll come back through and take some pics...
                              Sweet!! Gogogogogogogo!!
                              McCall

Comment

Working...
                              X