Spokes Race

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spokes Race

Well, I had what I would consider the car's maiden voyage this weekend. Yeah, I ran it at an Aggie event in January, but that was on "real" street tires with blown shocks and M3 springs. So that one doesn't count.

Now the car is much, much better prepped for STX with the obvious exceptions of no camber plates, still running stock M3 rear shocks, and other smaller items like seats and such.

We had a roughly 40-45 second course with three low speed corners where a few elected to go to first. These were all followed by relatively fast sections so it really favoed cars with torque that could pull out of the corners well. There were also two long sweepers. Overall, it was a pretty fun course, but wasn't technical, IMO.

The first thing I noticed was the slow steering. I hate the fact that the stock wheel is so friggin' huge. It doesn't help that the steering ratio isn't too fast, either. But, I dealt... The other bummer was that with the new harness mounting config, my helmet was still rubbing on the headliner, but just barely. It was still distracting, though. And given the bumpy nature of San Antonio Raceway, my helmet contacted the roof more than once per run. Nonetheless, it was nice to be planted in the seat finally.

The car did quite well. It transitioned nicely and was exceptionally well balanced. I think I'll be happy with this spring combination that John (eventually!) helped me decide on. It was easily controlled with throttle input around the longer sweepers to adjust it's attitude. Honestly, I couldn't have expected more. In fact, I was quite shocked (pun intended) that the rear felt as controlled as it was given how grossly underdamped it is right now. The diff was great, too, BTW. No hint of one wheel peel whatsoever.

BTW, I started off with 40 psi all around and due to lack of sidewall rollover and tail happiness, I ended up with 36f/34r with the "old style" Azenis. That brings up another point. I was suprised how cool these tires remained. In TX heat with little time between runs and in a nearly 3000 lb. car I expected to have to hose the tires down, but they barely got very warm at all. The FWD guys in my class were hosing their fronts down religiously and couldn't believe how cool mine were. Helps to have nearly 52% rear weight.

I ended up winning my class, but I don't think I faired very well in the PAX rankings. Will be curious to see once the results are posted.

T

Here's a pic:
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Spokes Race

good to hear you finally raced the damn thing.

can you use an aftermarket wheel in STX? I'd use this one.

If you can't use aftermarket, can you update/backdate to another stock BMW wheel? Or did they kill update/backdate (very dumb move by scca if they did).
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Spokes Race

Factory airbagged ST_ cars can't swap steering wheels....period. Non-airbagged cars can do whatever they please. One more reason I wanted an E30.

And no update/backdate for ST_ classes at all. That also means if my motor goes I need to replace it with a non-VANOS motor! I think I'd consider going DSP at that point.

T
      2001 Jeep Wrangler
      2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
      Front LCA Bushing Swap
      E36 Custom Cat Back
      Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

Originally posted by Tommy R
        Factory airbagged ST_ cars can't swap steering wheels....period. Non-airbagged cars can do whatever they please. One more reason I wanted an E30.

And no update/backdate for ST_ classes at all. That also means if my motor goes I need to replace it with a non-VANOS motor! I think I'd consider going DSP at that point.

T
        OK, that makes it official....

STX is GAY

Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Spokes Race

True, but it's cheap.

T
          2001 Jeep Wrangler
          2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
          Front LCA Bushing Swap
          E36 Custom Cat Back
          Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

TC Kline Racing?

Dude... loose my e-mail address

Comment

Spokes Race

Yup. They helped me with the dampers and were great to deal with.

T
              2001 Jeep Wrangler
              2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
              Front LCA Bushing Swap
              E36 Custom Cat Back
              Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

Results are up at spokes.org and I only barely made it into the top 20, which is quite disappointing. But, there are two things to consider with regard to this......

1. The course was changed midway in the afternoon heats so some people ended up having a slower course as a result. That's when I ended up with my best time. Had the course been the same, I would've faired a bit better, I'm sure. How much better? Hard to say...

2. There were two-three exceptionally slow corners on course. I'm thinking I should've downshifted to 1st gear for two of them. Ah well, hindsight....

It's all good. I think on a more "nationals type" course, the car will fare better.

T
                2001 Jeep Wrangler
                2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                Front LCA Bushing Swap
                E36 Custom Cat Back
                Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

Two pics from Sunday...

2001 Jeep Wrangler
                  2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                  Front LCA Bushing Swap
                  E36 Custom Cat Back
                  Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

Wow, nice pics. The car is so clear it almost looks photochopped into the scene.
                    -Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Spokes Race

Too much sharpening makes the picture look fake.
                      Brian Hanchey
                      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Spokes Race

FWIW, Chris has a very, very nice camera. Me? I know nothing of photography.

T
                        2001 Jeep Wrangler
                        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                        Front LCA Bushing Swap
                        E36 Custom Cat Back
                        Diff Swap

Comment

Spokes Race

I'm just saying that you CAN sharpen too much. I like a lot of sharpening myself, but you can get it to the point that it doesn't look natural.
                          Brian Hanchey
                          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Spokes Race

Your mellon looks ginormous in that second picture. How did you ever get it in the car?

It's like an orange on a toothpick..... his head has it's own gravitational field....

Comment

Spokes Race

Well, that's a huge noggin! That's a virtual planetoid! Has its own weather system!
                              '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                              - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                              X