April 5, 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 5, 2005

2006 Lotus Exige: More than just a coupe version of Lotus’ Elise pocket-supercar, the Exige boasts even sharper handling and greater racetrack ability thanks to suspension and aerodynamic upgrades. The Exige comes standard with the $2480 Sport Pack wheel, tire, spring, and damper upgrades that are currently fitted to 40 percent of all Elises sold in the U.S. and benefits from more downforce – about 90 pounds at 100 mph, compared with 10 pounds – thanks to a new front splitter and a large rear wing. Inside are more aggressive sports seats. Lotus is aiming the Exige at track-day enthusiasts. Final spec for the car, which is scheduled to go on sale in the U.S. this fall as an ’06 model, has still to be decided, but pricing is expected to be in the low to mid $50,000 range.
    -Sean Martin
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

April 5, 2005

I hear everyone in SS saying the same thing all at once ($H!7)
      Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. Please put your collars in the upright and POPed position.

Comment

April 5, 2005

So far, the Lotus hasn't been a threat to the C5 Z06 in Solo2 (the only place it has a prayer of doing well - on a road course its 200hp down)... this 2006 Exige package has no additional power of grip than the Sport Elise model does now. Better seats and a rear wing? Bling, bling.

The Lotus is woefully undersprung, by many track-side and driver's seat accounts. Lots of roll and the same width as a C5! Track width is narrower but rear bodywork is within 1/2" of the C5's big ole juicy fruit butt.
        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

April 5, 2005

Originally posted by Fair!
          The Lotus is woefully undersprung, by many track-side and driver's seat accounts. Lots of roll and the same width as a C5! Track width is narrower but rear bodywork is within 1/2" of the C5's big ole juicy fruit butt.
          Okay, I'm not sure what dreamland you are in, but I just looked up the width specs on the Elise, C5, and C6...

Lotuse Elise: 67.7in
          C5: 73.6 in.
          C6 72.6in.
          -Sean Martin
          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

April 5, 2005

Originally posted by Redwood
            Okay, I'm not sure what dreamland you are in, but I just looked up the width specs on the Elise, C5, and C6...

Lotuse Elise: 67.7in
            C5: 73.6 in.
            C6 72.6in.
            Them's track widths, which are much different. Yes, the width from the outside edge of the Lotus wheels and the Z06 wheels is 5-6" different.

This picture has some distortion - when you see a Lotus from the rear the bodywork looks noticably wider than the rear track width.

Measure the rear bodywork width (something car mags don't typically) and Elise is very close to a C5. The Lotus is so low to the ground that the wide rear bodywork can and will hit an 18" traffic pylon, i.e. making the car seem as wide as a C5. Normally, the outer edges of the tires determine the ultimate width of a car...

Think: Slalom

This is where having a narrow car is very benificial. The BMW E36 is fully 8 inches narrower than the C6 (I measured both) and that makes a huge difference in slaloms. What percentage of SCCA solo2 courses don't have slaloms? 10%?

The Lotus is still very light (but with equally narrow wheels/tires its almost a wash: "total weight/inch of tread on the ground" is a measure some autocrossers like to compare) and very short overall length (making boxes and offsets "seem" farther apart), but like many previous Lotii, the super light spring rates hurt the overall handling.

Again, this only applies to solo2, admittedly not the measuring stick of the performance world. Put them on a road course with equally good drivers in both cars and 195 hp Lotus fades quickly behind a 400hp Z06, all of the "videos" on the internet to the contrary.
            Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
            2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
            EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Working...
            X