March 23, 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 23, 2005

Jeep Commander, the anti-Bangle vehicle. That windshield is straight off my old Cherokee!!
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Re: March 23, 2005

Showstopper: Ford launches the Shelby Cobra GT500, its baddest Mustang yet

For the GT500's 3600 pounds, it should read, "...its FATTEST Mustang yet."

If this is their answer to the Corvette, well, they missed the mark by about 500 pounds. :/ And by a solid axle.

Oiy. The damn chassis they stole for the Mustang already has IRS! Just make it optional, you tools!
      Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
      2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
      EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
        Showstopper: Ford launches the Shelby Cobra GT500, its baddest Mustang yet

For the GT500's 3600 pounds, it should read, "...its FATTEST Mustang yet."

If this is their answer to the Corvette, well, they missed the mark by about 500 pounds. :/ And by a solid axle.

Oiy. The damn chassis they stole for the Mustang already has IRS! Just make it optional, you tools!
        One of the articles said that would've added ANOTHER 180lbs. That is even more than the GTO! Now we know how that car got so heavy. I can see the $5000 extra cost being a hold back. Since they are heavy to begin with, price will probably help them more than the IRS.
        -Sean Martin
        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
          One of the articles said that (IRS) would've added ANOTHER 180lbs. That is even more than the GTO! Now we know how that car got so heavy.
          Thats just poor engineering. IRS shouldn't weigh as much as a steel solid axle with an iron center section, and esp, not 180 lbs more! The fact that they like to make the suspensions interchangable (solid or IRS) makes them heavier than they need to be. The extra, added subframe needed to change the suspension pick-up points from the native solid axle 3-link to become an IRS is where the weight is at, just like in the fox-body IRS kludge.

If Ford would have stepped up to the 1990s and made the Mustang an efficient, lightweight, IRS chassis from the get-go, the entire model line could have benefited from IRS and lower overall weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair!
            Originally posted by Redwood
            One of the articles said that (IRS) would've added ANOTHER 180lbs. That is even more than the GTO! Now we know how that car got so heavy.
            Thats just poor engineering. IRS shouldn't weigh as much as a steel solid.
            What IRS IS in the GTO ? Duck can't even stoplight drag race a solid axle LT1 Caprice and beat it..because he gets jaw rattling axle hop upon hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear...

His best 60' was a 2.4 !!! He averaged a 2.5 60' !!! The Caprice at least gets 2.2 60' !
            Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
            Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dean!
              What IRS IS in the GTO ? Duck can't even stoplight drag race a solid axle LT1 Caprice and beat it..because he gets jaw rattling axle hop upon hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear...

His best 60' was a 2.4 !!! He averaged a 2.5 60' !!! The Caprice at least gets 2.2 60' !
              The CTS-V apparently has axle-hop as well. Gary, what were your 60' times at HRP?
              -Sean Martin
              2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

March 23, 2005

WOOHOO!!!

I'm calling Duck out!

My two cylindered lawnmower engine ricebox is gonna p0wn j00!!!
                '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
                - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

March 23, 2005

Personally, I am still dissapointed with GM for effectively cancelling the new Camaro. What is wrong with that company now? I guess I am not in the industry enough to understand, but it seems like GM can theoretically produce anything Ford can -- so why not just create a Mustang clone (with a camaro exterior design of course) and an LS2? The LS2 is cheaper to produce than the MOD4.6 (or so I read). I wonder if GM's globalizing is coming back to bite them. They try so hard to share cars worldwide that it is technically cheaper per car for them than building 2 different cars in both countries, but the total price to the consumer goes up. I think the GTO is a cool car with a lot of power, and they are even starting to make it look OK. They really missed their pricing mark, however, and the Ford Mustang GT apparently hit it dead on.

Edit: I really like the way the Saturn Sky and that other new sedan concept look. I'm still not interested in owning either, but its a step up from where they are now in my mind.

That new GT500 mustang looks awesome. The solid axle sucks, but what can you do?

Here's a rant for you: If GM would stop fooling around with crap like the SSR I'm sure they could figure out a way to make a new Camaro, and then give me a 2007 Camaro ZL1 with the LS7. COPO STYLE BABY.

Comment

March 23, 2005

Originally posted by Paul
                    WOOHOO!!!

I'm calling Duck out!

My two cylindered lawnmower engine ricebox is gonna p0wn j00!!!
                    You mean 2.5 litered ??
                    Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
                    Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

March 23, 2005

Originally posted by theflux
                      Here's a rant for you: If GM would stop fooling around with crap like the SSR I'm sure they could figure out a way to make a new Camaro, and then give me a 2007 Camaro ZL1 with the LS7. COPO STYLE BABY.
                      The sad thing is, GM has wasted millions (maybe 100s of millions) on some of these low volume "halo" cars that aren't selling well. The SSR is a sales dud (and with its massive weight and low powered 5.3L, we can safely say it was done wrong), as is the GTO (but that was done mostly right). The Corvette is setting sales records, so that money seems well spent, but the XLR is a total dud. I just hope the hype and engineering time spent on the Solstace produces a car people want to buy...

GM really needs to hit some homeruns now. The future looks BLEAK for the big 2, but Ford seems to be making progress with both trucks and cars, whereas GM is shooting blanks inthe automotive department right as truck/SUV sales cool (and their silverado line is the oldest in the industry).

Good discussion of the future of the "Big 2.5" (Big 3 auto makers) on corner carvers: http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22328

Comment

March 23, 2005

Even though I know it's not a new article, this Popular Hotrod article about the future of the F-Body is interesting. The comments about making Pontiac more upscale like a BMW was interesting as well.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...409phr_camaro/
                        -Sean Martin
                        2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                        X