Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offical Plan to Reinvigorate the Dallas SCCA Region

Offical Plan to Reinvigorate the Dallas SCCA Region

This is not my own personal plan, but an idea hatched at dinner one night last week among many of us TAMSCC Dallas folks. If you've been to a Dallas area SCCA regional, you'll know why this plan is necessary.

The DFW area has what? 3-5 million people? Yet there are but 2 event sites (that both have major drawbacks) and not so great turnouts at either. Pennington field is a small highschool parking lot (1st gear, 20-30 second events) and Miserable Wells is TWO HOURS AWAY (and coming apart). All this area, all these people, and 2 lousy sites??

The marquee clubs haven't had much luck in securing other sites, and their major drawbacks include lumping of non-marquee cars into a catch-all class. Not a competitive atmosphere and turnout, class rules and event smoothness is inconsistent in these clubs, typically.

There has got to be a large, uncluttered, concrete lot somewhere in the north Dallas area. We talked about using satellite photos to help locate potential sites (hey, Adam, hook us up!). I spoke with Houston's Roger Johnson (who has helped locate lots of race sites) this past weekend about getting a New Site Packet from the SCCA head office (I will e-mail that request soon), to help "sell" the idea of using a site for auto-x use to its owners.

This "plan" will probably need to involve a one or more of the TAMSCC Dallas people bidding to take over some officer positions within the Dallas SCCA region. This would help motivate the other Dallas SCCA folks into A) wanting to find another site and B) changing the regional rules to allow for better classing.

Different classes? Yes. The SCCA Solo2 rules allow SCCA regions to 'adopt their own classing structure of their choosing' (paraphrased). This means they can add classes, categories, and completely ignore the Naitonal Solo2 rules structure and class rules. THIS could be the key to forcing the SCCA to adpot new and better classes and categories and rules... something like Ramey proposed for overhauling/merging SP and SM. It could also set out new tire rules for Stock category to only allow 140 or greater treadwear tires ("street tires compounds"), like the ST classes now do. Who wants to drop $1000 on the new hoosier or kumho and only get 2-3 competitive events out of the set?? That's excessive and the tire situation has been spiriling out of control for years with little help from the SCCA.

All new regional class rules... Wacky? Maybe. But this is how StreetMod and the STU/STX/STS classes came into being: an SCCA Region(s) ran these classes first, they were popular, and the Naitonal office had to eventually look into adopting them.

It's just an idea, and it isn't mine alone. Please discuss here and let's see if there are enough motivated Dallas area people to try to make the Dallas SCCA a better group to race with, with better sites and better classes. As we've seen with the TAMSCC, just one person or a small group of people can make a big difference!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Having lived in Atlanta, I know this can be done and improvements can be made to how they run events here. We just need to go DO ET. First of all, a new site, second, a morning and afternoon run group!! I'm going to email the autox chairperson in ATL and Bob Tunnell. Both got new sites for their regions.
    Brian Hanchey
    AST Suspension - USA

Comment

I'm down with it. With my schedule now I have some free time to invest in this so count me in. I will talk with Adam while I'm in CO this week and will let you guys know about some satellite images.

Heading to the airport!
      McCall

Comment

Brian,
        Site aquisition is one of the most difficult things in our sport. When you
        look at all the factors that a business is exposed to by holding our events
        (wear and tear on lot, risk, noise pollution, etc.) it's a tough sell for
        our small rental fees. This is why I'm always afraid of losing our venues.
        I'm currently talking with two new locations, essentially as backup for our
        deals with Turner and Gwinnett. You never know when you may need another
        lot, and variety is a bonus for the club.

Despite the challenges in lot aquisition, National has put together some
        good literature for this purpose. It gives demographic info and details on
        insurance coverage, etc. It was an initiative that Steve Johnson made when
        he assumed his office. You can contact Nancy Downing in the Topeka office
        for some of those literature packs, and send them out early in the
        engagement period with a prospective site.

It's a challenge, but some folks look at it as an easy way to make a few
        bucks on the side. some of the bigger folks we talk to wouldn't even notice
        our rent in the balance sheet. Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Regards,
        Joel
        Brian Hanchey
        AST Suspension - USA

Comment

There were 122 drivers at their last event on March 6th.

I spoke with a guy named Gabby Garner about the Dallas SCCA chapter and he said they are having alot of political issues right now and that it is causing problems with the club. So Terry's suggestion of a coup could quite possibly be viable.
          '11 Mustang GT / '95 Frankenpreza

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
          - Dr. Clarkson

Comment

We should be able to get 200 plus.
            Brian Hanchey
            AST Suspension - USA

Comment

Working...
            X