February 9, 2005

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 9, 2005

new 3 seris is UGLY. Even uglier in the front as the new A4/S4. What's with the big indention in the middle of the bumper?? Yuck! LEt's not even discuss the back-end. (shudder)

Also note the downturned fog lights and the faux smile in the grill. Headlights are still BangleFunky.

It amazes me that the man hasn't been fired; instead he gets promoted and is allowed to molest every single BMW design beyond recognition. Thorw in the iDrive silliness, the ever-increasing costs for all models, and the extra weight all of the models seem to be getting and it makes for one potent putrid pool of potentially poor sales.

Somebody is buying these ugly duckilings since BMW seems to break sales records each year. americans are stoopid!
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

February 9, 2005

BMW sales are only breaking records because they introduce a new model., the X5/X3. All the cars are DOWN. Just like Porsche. The Cayenne saved them big time.
      Brian Hanchey
      AST Suspension - USA

Comment

February 9, 2005

. . . which is surprising to me since every X5 we have traded for has been a big steaming pile 'o poo! Seriously, BMW may make great cars, but they need to leave the SUVs to us; you know that the only reason they are selling is because of the pimp factor (TM) of the name . . .
        Jason Newman,
        2005 Mustang GT
        1995 Mustang GT 5.0
        York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

February 9, 2005

I have no X5 experience except test driving a new one. What is wrong with them when traded in?
          Brian Hanchey
          AST Suspension - USA

Comment

February 9, 2005

Trim, squeeks, trim, gauge clusters (de-pixalation), trim, batteries (eats them if not driven), door seals, trim . . . you see the pattern. Not saying that any car we trade for is perfect (usually far from it), but I really do hate it when we keep X5s. I feel the same way about the MB MLs which like to have oil leaks, trim problems, and seem to have a built-in ejector mechanism for the wood trim on the center stack; they fly off at the drop of a hat. It just seems like for the money, you could do a lot better . . .
            Jason Newman,
            2005 Mustang GT
            1995 Mustang GT 5.0
            York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

February 9, 2005

I despise the new 3 series. The kidney grills each have a "mustache" over them which looks beyond ugly. The tail end looks so busy I think I could die from being overworked just looking at it. You know what they say: If you can't design - overdesign. And lastly iDrive...I think I don't have anything worse to say about the car than that.

Comment

February 9, 2005

Originally posted by theNewman
                Trim, squeeks, trim, gauge clusters (de-pixalation), trim, batteries (eats them if not driven), door seals, trim . . . you see the pattern. Not saying that any car we trade for is perfect (usually far from it), but I really do hate it when we keep X5s. I feel the same way about the MB MLs which like to have oil leaks, trim problems, and seem to have a built-in ejector mechanism for the wood trim on the center stack; they fly off at the drop of a hat. It just seems like for the money, you could do a lot better . . .
                Yea, they might have trim problems and squeaks (my brand new C6 squeaks and almost drives me mad when the dash plastic is cold in the morning; thankfully it has 500+ watts of stereo to drown that out), but the X5 handles pretty damn well for an "SUV". I've been with Ramey in his (sporting 20x10" factory optional rims!) and have seen some crazy shit. He drove that thing like a freagin F1 car... right until he hit that garbage truck.

I tried to follow him in my 318 (when it was still being street driven) and couldn't keep up with the X5 on the highway or back roads going to his old house. I kept having to call them for directions. He wasn't trying to lose me, just driving like normal. I had the throttle to the firewall on that damn 318. WAHHHHHH!!! It felt like it had 50 hp...

A bunch of us went to TMS and autocrossed the piss outta X5s when they were first introduced (a BMW sponsored event) and it was pretty amazing. We also got to ride in the Lexus and Merc SUVs at the same time, which were both more top heavy and less nimble. Don't even want to include the domestic SUV bohemoths, which are PIGS PIGS PIGS.

People that tell me they buy an SUV or big truck "because they are safer" are missing half of the accident equation: AVOIDANCE. A big, top heavy, low grip PIG with halfassed brakes may "survive" an accident better than a smaller, better handling car but they sure don't avoid accidents as well. And rollovers... yikes.

The X5, based on the old 5 series, could probably use a redesign and some better quality control on the interior. But heck, my 5 series (upon which the X5 was based) has the same pixelated dash display problem (huge recall on the 5/7/X5) and a piece of faux wood trim that is partially ejected from the dash. The door seals also have a tendency to squeak with age, which is a problem across the E39 model range from what I have seen online.

Nothing is perfect but the dash problem has been going on for a decade and shouldn't still be happening. Squeaks are tough to prevent 5-10 years into a car's life, too, but are unacceptible in a nearly new car (like the C6). If I could trust a GM dealer to fix the C6's squeak I'd take it in, but I have MASSIVE distrust of all dealership mechanics. It'll only go in for service if the motor suddenly falls out.
                Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

February 9, 2005

Originally posted by theNewman
                  The de-pixelation isn't uncommon and I've heard of the door seals issue before (though not experienced it myself). Fortunately my '99 328 hasn't had any of that, nor the trim/squeak problems and it doesn't lose a drop of oil. There's no accounting for how people treat there cars before they get to you either. Sure, some of BMW's quality isn't perfect, but it's better than a lot of cars out there and the DRIVING is a big reason they're bought (though name recognition obviously has a bit to do with it). GM has much improved quality now, but that certainly wasn't the case 5 years ago judging by my coworker's trucks/SUVs we ride in to lunch. Squeaks/rattles/etc. I do agree BMWs are a bit overpriced, even taking what they offer into account. They need to wake up and start pricing a little closer to their competitors like Infiniti.
                  -Sean Martin
                  2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

February 9, 2005

Originally posted by Fair
                    People that tell me they buy an SUV or big truck "because they are safer" are missing half of the accident equation: AVOIDANCE. A big, top heavy, low grip PIG with halfassed brakes may "survive" an accident better than a smaller, better handling car but they sure don't avoid accidents as well. And rollovers... yikes.

Speaking of, this is a pic of my HP friend's coworker's SUV (what's left). I thought it was a Trailblazer. Turns out it's a Montero. It got clipped in the rear by a car (which sped off) , then proceeded to roll 4 or 5 times. His wife made him trade in his 330 because it was "cheaper" so they could send their kid to private school.

-Sean Martin
                    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X