WTB New or used R-compound 245-17's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB New or used R-compound 245-17's

Looking for a little grip for the goat. Until I get the wheels ordered I'll like to get some seat time in the car with more than just the icy stock tires. Looking like crazy for anybody that makes the Woodward fenders/quarters so that a real wheel/tire package will fit.
    Gary Hood

I've got four 245/45-17 Victoracers. Two with pretty damn good tread. Two with not as much tread, but still a fair amount. They're currently mounted on some 17x7.5" BMW wheels, though. For the right price, I'd dismount them and we could work something out.

I'll see about grabbing some pics tonight if you'll remind me, Gary.

T
    2001 Jeep Wrangler
    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
    Front LCA Bushing Swap
    E36 Custom Cat Back
    M3 Limited Slip Diff Repair
    Diff Swap

Comment

Shoot me a price... I'm trying to get something mounted for the Houston event this weekend.
      Gary Hood

Comment

Let me grab pics first and you can gauge their worth. The issue is time it appears. They're mounted right now. With some time, I could dismount then on my machine for free. Without time, I'd have to pay a shop to do it. And delivery/shipping could also be an issue... I guess I'm not sure if this weekend would be very feasible unless you've got loads of time to kill.

T
        2001 Jeep Wrangler
        2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
        Front LCA Bushing Swap
        E36 Custom Cat Back
        Diff Swap

Comment

Are the wheels on the car? You have a tire machine? Cool.... I could jet to Austin Friday nite and mount/dismount tires... if you have time, that is. I guess, first a pic and a price is in order, then all the driving ensues.
          Gary Hood

Comment

Unfortunately, Friday is out for me. I've got plans. The machine is actually in Georgetown so it's about 30 minutes away at Richard Windberg's shop. Not all that convenient. That's why I was saying me dismounting them myself is going to be hard. Assuming we work something out, perhaps I can have NTB by my house dismount them. I wouldn't be able to fit the separate wheels and tires in my car so we'd have to pick them up....together.

Or perhaps first thing Sat. morning?

T

edit: The tires are mounted, but are not on a car.
            2001 Jeep Wrangler
            2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
            Front LCA Bushing Swap
            E36 Custom Cat Back
            Diff Swap

Comment

OK, plan C....If you can get the wheels by NTB tomorrow or Friday morning with instructions about who will be picking up (and having mounted) the tires, I can go by and get them before they close Friday nite. You can pick up your wheels on Sat morning or I could bring them by the house for you on Friday...
              your turn...
              Gary Hood

Comment

Sounds like we can figure this out. Price will now just have to at least partially include the dismounting fee. I'll grab pics tonight and along with more details.

T
                2001 Jeep Wrangler
                2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                Front LCA Bushing Swap
                E36 Custom Cat Back
                Diff Swap

Comment

You have a phone # that I can get you on ... this would have taken WAY less effort in a ten minute conversation.
                  Gary Hood

Comment

LOL....

five one two

nine one seven

eight six six six

Or work: 512 334 7524

T
                    2001 Jeep Wrangler
                    2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins

BMW E36 DIY's:
                    Front LCA Bushing Swap
                    E36 Custom Cat Back
                    Diff Swap

Comment

I'm still looking for tires. The Kumhos are only gonna last for one more auto-x. ANBODY got sump'm fo me? Looking for used right now 'cause the C5 that Paul passed on has my full attention!
                      Gary Hood

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man
                        I'm still looking for tires. The Kumhos are only gonna last for one more auto-x. ANBODY got sump'm fo me? Looking for used right now 'cause the C5 that Paul passed on has my full attention!
                        Check out the Dunlop SP Super Sport Race model, on close-out at Tire Rack:

sizes and pricing: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....per+Sport+Race

225/45ZR17 - Price Each: $119

Would work great on the stock Goat wheels...

According to Teucci, these race tires "are equivilent to Toyos". If they had the right sizes I'd be putting them on everything! Still wish I had enough disp. income to stock pile a set or two.
                        Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
                        2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
                        EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Wouldn't 225/45-17 be a bit skinny for a GTO? It comes with 245s...
                          -Sean Martin
                          2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man
                            Looking for used right now 'cause the C5 that Paul passed on has my full attention!
                            I'm not crazy about the idea of you you dumping the Goat already, but a C5 purchase? Now that is hard to argue against. Keep the truck or goat as the daily driver? Or some other beater, like an older truck? Don't say "my 1995 Impala" or I will have to hit you on the head with a brick. :o

(helpful tip for Impala restoration: "insurance fire". It's worked before)

It still boggles my mind that although many of the old skool Houston/Dallas/Austin area TAMSCC folks have $25-30K+ sports cars, only 3 of them are Corvettes (esp. since many of us, including Gary, have been quoted in the past as saying, "one day I'll be done with these ___ cars and just race a Corvette".)... esp. now that used C5 FRCs are under $20K. Hell, if it were up to me, we'd have a modded FRC in the garage instead of a new $45K C6 with 19" rear wheels and 8.5" wide fronts. :evil: But it's not up to me.

corvette ownerS: Sen-Roy (heavily modded C4), Ewing (which is both unraced and for sale) , and the punkmeister (overpriced and under-tired). Technically Dean has a "corvette" (sloppy seconds from JoMu!) but it will likely never be raced by Dean, and was an "investment only". Didn't Wirtz sell his 96? McClure sold his Z06, and Ramey is selling his, I supect.

The suspension, weight, power, and overall autocross/dragstrip/road course speed of a C4/C5/C6 corvette, esp. when compared to like priced or even heavily modded sports cars/coupes, is very very hard to argue against. They don't start losing these performance comparisons until you throw in things like "it needs back seats for the dog/baby/co-worker/to hide the bodies" and "does it have a gigantic ass wing" or "is it 60 years old and in need of $50K in mods"?

People argue about the better practicality of some $30K sports sedans, but with a $20K FRC + a $5-10K daily driver... who needs to do everything in ONE car, anyway? One car only is always a compromise over a race car + daily driver.

That's just my crazy, very unpopular view.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood
                              Wouldn't 225/45-17 be a bit skinny for a GTO? It comes with 245s...
                              the car has 17x8s... for racing, esp. autocrossing, "less is more" sometimes. 225 tires are perfectly fitted to an 8" wheel. Sure, a 245 might be a tick better, but these are $119 each race tires....

some folks, esp. internut experts, like to proclaim "run the biggest tire that holds air on a given wheel"... like 8" wheels with 275s. to me, that is utterly silly and increases abnormal wear, kills tread "stability"/flatness, adds dead weight and slows down tire warm-up.

For road course use, sure, run more tire to shed heat better. Direct opposite of what you want for auto-x...

Comment

Working...
                              X