X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 17, 2005

On Auto Auctions:

But my friend...

Everyone seems to know a story about a friend, or a friend of a friend, who gets spectacular deals at auctions buying vintage Corvettes for $500 and reselling them for $25,000. Try and find the guy. Try and find a guy who got a decent Honda Accord at auction. You won’t. Decent Honda Accords are kept by their owners, given to their families, or sold to their friends. But like the shills in the audience of a traveling snake oil salesman or a faith healer, people continue to repeat the stories of great cars bought at auction. Look — some people make a living beating the house at blackjack. But it probably isn’t going to be you.
    For some reason a certain asian's name comes to mind. I don't know why? It just does! Is it the eBay angle or the Math? I dunno... If I had a dollar for every "this guy" made a million story, I'd be a rich man.

Exceptions to the rules for fools

Federal, state, and other local government entities regularly auction off vehicles. Generally they will provide whatever true information they have about the vehicles. Generally the vehicles have received some form of regular maintenance. State police cars often have high mileage — but it’s the best kind of mileage — and often they are one-person vehicles, which makes them less abused. Various parks departments may have a fifteen-year-old vehicle with very low mileage as it only made the rounds of a very small park. But these auctions are well known and publicized and frequented by cabbies, dealers, and companies regularly needing vehicles. So you might get a decent price, but don’t look for any steals unless a major storm stops everyone else from coming to the auction.
    Yes, we have all seen these auctions, and the state ones seem to be a LOT better than federal or municipal. CAN be a good deal, but it takes a lot of work, research, smarts and/or LUCK to get a good deal at these auctions.

So take my advice. If you’re bitten by the auction fever, just go on eBay and bid on an album or CD you’ve always wanted. You’ll still overpay, but it won’t hurt nearly as much and you won’t have to pay someone $45 to tow away your mistake.
    BWAHAHA! I have to agree with that statement as well. I have never seen "awesome deals" on eBay and feel that anyone who buys a car from there, sight-unseen, has a screw loose. eBay is the biggest place where fools lose their money and hucksters take it.
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    2018 GT / S550 Dev + 2013 FR-S / 86 Dev + 2011 GT / S197 Dev + C4 Corvette Dev
    EVO X Dev + 2007 Z06 / C6 Dev + BMW E46 Dev + C5 Corvette Dev

Comment

Re: January 17, 2005

Originally posted by Redwood
      Man, were they running through a school zone or work traffic or something? From the sound of it, the cars could have exploded at any moment! Side-streets always pose a risk and it was pretty dumb with kids in the car like the guy that ran last night who had his 8-month pregnant wife with him. He wasn't real bright though. Living the bling moment in his 745i and not concerned about much else it seemed from our brief chat. I wouldn't race him again like he mentioned because of his wife and my questions of his ability to control his car at 70+mph without spinning out and exploding like was feared possible in the article.

>Australian motor racing great Dick Johnson said the parents were lucky to be alive.
      >
      >He said it was a miracle they managed to control their vehicles at high speed in a busy residential street.

Yes, amazing! Most people would have simply spun out right in the middle and exploded!

> "I wouldn't take kids that age on an empty racetrack," said Mr Johnson.

Seriously, what's the difference? There's a person in the car or there isn't. Having kids in the car isn't going to make the car blow up.

>"It's just too dangerous, and I just can't think who would carry on like that with youngsters in the car because the drivers could have lost control at any time."

I love the sensationalism surrounding going 90mph. You never can tell though if it were a neighborhood road or something like Spring Creek with long stretches of no side streets or what.
      "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin
      http://www.duckfest.net

Comment

January 17, 2005

Originally posted by Fair!
        On Auto Auctions:

But my friend...

Everyone seems to know a story about a friend, or a friend of a friend, who gets spectacular deals at auctions buying vintage Corvettes for $500 and reselling them for $25,000. Try and find the guy. Try and find a guy who got a decent Honda Accord at auction. You won’t. Decent Honda Accords are kept by their owners, given to their families, or sold to their friends. But like the shills in the audience of a traveling snake oil salesman or a faith healer, people continue to repeat the stories of great cars bought at auction. Look — some people make a living beating the house at blackjack. But it probably isn’t going to be you.
        For some reason a certain asian's name comes to mind. I don't know why? It just does! Is it the eBay angle or the Math? I dunno... If I had a dollar for every "this guy" made a million story, I'd be a rich man.
        [/quote]

All of y'all know the source of my cars, time purchased, and time sold.... SeanT even sent the 1997 M3 to ALL of us.... only one took the gamble....

These deals are hard to find, but they are there.... just like my Grandsport Replica hehehehehe

OH and who introduced all of y'all to the cloning and resell opportunity of 9C1s to Impala SS clones ??? It's for real real.....
        Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."
        Me: "I never finish anyth..."

Comment

January 17, 2005

So take my advice. If you’re bitten by the auction fever, just go on eBay and bid on an album or CD you’ve always wanted. You’ll still overpay, but it won’t hurt nearly as much and you won’t have to pay someone $45 to tow away your mistake.
          BWAHAHA! I have to agree with that statement as well. I have never seen "awesome deals" on eBay and feel that anyone who buys a car from there, sight-unseen, has a screw loose. eBay is the biggest place where fools lose their money and hucksters take it.
          I'm your huckleberry...

The 92 B4C 1LE LT1 6spd, I sold on EBAY - the buyer from Baltimore NEVER drove the car before paying me...I drove it from the airport to the bank.

The 96 LT4 Corvette 6spd, I sold on EBAY - the buyer from Kentucky - NEVER drove the car before paying me... I drove it from the airport to the bank.

The 97 M3, I sold on EBAY - the buyer would have paid me before driving it home UNTIL I at least requested his spoiled son to drive it...the son drove it around the parking lot in 2nd gear and came back in under 5 minutes. I drove it from the airport to the bank....

For sellers...Ebay can be NICE....
          Toth: "I would sue Duck, but I don't know what I would do with 3 pennies and a hoopty GTO."

Comment

January 17, 2005

The greatest benefit of ebay comes from the shear size of selling audience. Example: I have a red '01 Formula 6speed with 7.5k and I list it in AutoTrader and get a few folks looking for Formulas, and red is OK with 1 of them; I ebay it instead, and get someone in Ohio that is looking for a red '01 Formula 6speed with low miles. Bingo! I've got a truly interested buyer, and a better chance of making some $$ on it. This worked well for me back when I was still selling cars here at Sewell. My $.02 . . .
            Jason Newman,
            2005 Mustang GT
            1995 Mustang GT 5.0
            York Pump & Equipment, a DXP Company

Comment

Re: January 17, 2005

2004 WRX STi won this last year.... I've been meaning to frame the article and hang it in the garage...but alas I have it in a manila folder collecting dust...

Comment

January 17, 2005

...because there were really no other competitors...
                Brian Hanchey
                AST Suspension - USA

Comment

January 17, 2005

Originally posted by hancheyb
                  ...because there were really no other competitors...
                  Shaddup! Don't you have to adjust your coilovers or something ? Maybe redo your caster?!???

Go bury some kimchee in the ground like the native K0reans.... you know how I feel about the k0reans....

Comment

Working...
                  X